I would recommend to you as a couple that you sit down and think about your future together. Many may go to pre-marital counseling, or many may choose to sit down together to review your plans. I ran across a workbook that I would highly recommend to those who are about to tie the knot.
Getting Ready for Marriage Workbook : How to Really Get to Know the Person You're Going to Marry
This is a simplified workbook that provokes you to think about what you want for your future and what you are prepared to give in your soon to-be union. Some of the topics in the book are:
- Love: The Three Types- An explanation of emotional, friendship and commitment love
- Knowing You- What are your expectations, priorities and behavioral patterns
- Knowing Your Families- In this section, you will be exploring your families together. Remember, when you get married, you are married into another family. You need to know your in-laws, and what they are like, too
- Communication-Taking the Time for One Another, Speak for Yourself, Understand that your spouses perceptions are different from yours, How to really listen, and Identify any problem areas, (very important thing to check, before you say, I do)
- Resolving Conflicts
- Religious Orientations, (What are you and your spouse's beliefs?)
- Money Matters: Setting Financial Goals and how you and your spouse perceive money
- Sexual Relationship: What are your beliefs about it?
- Family Planning and Children